Here, your child’s care is as unique as they are. Yale New Haven Children's Hospital (YNHCH) is a dedicated pediatric hospital with world-class experts who offer the full spectrum of primary and specialized medical care. The Children's Hospital is part of the nationally recognized Yale New Haven Hospital, a 1,541-bed, not-for-profit teaching hospital affiliated with Yale School of Medicine. Yale New Haven Hospital and associated ambulatory sites are all Magnet-Designated by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Patients and families come to YNHCH for our ongoing commitment to exceptional patient care. As a leading academic medical center with campuses in New Haven and Bridgeport, our physicians conduct research that is instrumental in developing new approaches to the management of childhood illnesses, new technologies for diagnosis and new therapies for treatment.
We are proud to be consistently ranked nationally among the top children's hospitals for the exceptional care it provides to thousands of children each year. Among the pediatric specialty programs that have been spotlighted for their excellence in the U.S. News & World Report "Best Children's Hospital" issue are: cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, neonatology, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, urology and pulmonology. We are proud to share some notable facts about the Children's Hospital:
- YNHCH opened in 1993 as the first full-service acute care hospital for children in Connecticut.
- YNHCH has 212 licensed beds with campuses in New Haven and Bridgeport.
- YNHCH opened the world's first newborn intensive care unit (NICU) in 1960.
- In 1985, YNHCH opened the first hospital-based inpatient child psychiatric unit in Connecticut.
- In 1992, YNHCH became the first hospital in Connecticut to introduce extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for the treatment of neonatal respiratory failure.
- In January 2018, YNHCH opened the first NICU couplet care program in the country at an academic medical center or children's hospital.
- YNHCH is the only Connecticut children's hospital accredited to perform autologous stem cell transplants.
- YNHCH's dedicated pediatric surgery center brings together more than 20 surgical specialties, as well as pediatric anesthesia and pain management.
- YNHCH's 19-bed pediatric intensive care unit provides high-acuity care for infants, children an adolescents.
- YNHCH's Pediatric Specialty Centers, located in Greenwich, New Haven, Norwalk, Old Saybrook and Trumbull provide extensive outpatient evaluation and follow-up care in more than 35 sub-specialties.
- In February 2019, YNHCH became the first hospital in Connecticut to offer pediatric heart transplant and mechanical cardiac assist program.