Directions & Parking
Parking for Yale New Haven Psychiatric Hospital is available in the Howard Avenue Garage. Please see below for rates and directions.
The Air Rights Garage is open 24 hours a day and located between MLK Jr. Boulevard and South Frontage roads, straddling York St. Hourly, half-day, daily and monthly rates are available. Special parking spaces for disabled visitors are located next to the elevators on each parking level. The garage is monitored by Yale New Haven Hospital Security Services. A covered pedestrian bridge connects the second floor of the garage to the 20 York Street entrance of the hospital.
0-5 hours: $3 per hour
5-10 hours: $13 flat rate
10-24 hours: $18 (daily maximum)
Hours: Open 24 hours
- Parking escorts available 24/7 - Call protective Services at 203-688-2500
- For information about long-term rates due to an extended stay, please contact Patient Relations at 203-688-3430 or your assigned social worker.
A covered pedestrian bridge connects the second floor of the garage to the 20 York Street entrance of the hospital.
2$ per Hour
Hours: M-F, 6am - 9pm
From Congress Avenue cross Howard Avenue and enter the Howard Avenue Parking Garage on your right.
Keep your parking ticket with you; when you are ready to leave please present your ticket at any valet entrances. After 9 pm please call 203-688-2510 or go to the Pediatric Emergency or Adult Emergency Entrances (valet stand) to retrieve your car.
- Main Hospital Entrance (20 York St.): Weekdays 5 am - 9 pm; weekends 9 am – 9 pm
- Children’s Hospital Entrance (Corner of Park St. & Howard Ave.): Weekdays 5 am - 9pm; weekends 9 am – 9 pm
- Smilow Cancer Hospital (35 Park St.): Weekdays 5 am - 9 pm; weekends 9 am – 9 pm
- Dana Valet (789 Howard Ave.): Weekdays 5 am- 11 pm; Saturday 6:30 am – 4 pm; closed Sunday.
- Pediatric Emergency Entrance (Corner of Park St. & Howard Ave.): 24 hours per day/7 days per week.
- Adult Emergency Entrance(20 York St.) 24 hours per day/7 days per week.
Call the Parking and Transportation Office at 203-688-2623 for current rates for valet parking. Office is open weekdays 7:30 am - 4 pm.
- You will be greeted by the valet who will issue you a valet ticket and assist you to the hospital.
- Your car will be parked in a secure lot.
- When you are ready to leave, you can return to the valet location, the vale will accept your ticket and calculate any applicable parking charges. (Please Note: you can have your vehicle returned to any of the above listed valet entrances, it does not need to be the one you arrived at originally).
- If you need to retrieve your vehicle after hours you can call 203-688-6067 with your claim check number or you can speak to the Protective Services representative and they will call for you.
- Parking escorts are available all day, every day to accompany visitors to any hospital parking facility, call Protective Services at 203-688-2500.
Bus Route Overview: Visit the CT Transit web site or call the CT Transit Telephone Information Center at (203) 624-0151 for times and more info.
Routes B4, B5 OR B6
Congress Avenue bus to:
- Howard Avenue & Congress Avenue
Routes J5 OR J7
Savin Rock or Milford buses to:
- Union Railroad Station. On weekday mornings and evenings there is a shuttle available from Union Station to York & Cedar and to College & South Frontage (see Downtown Commuter Connection below) or
- Columbus Avenue and Howard Avenue
Routes O1 OR O2
Sylvan Avenue/Route 1 bus to:
- Howard Avenue & York Street or
- Howard Avenue & South Street
Downtown Commuter Connection/Shore Line East
- Shuttle from the Union Railroad Station has scheduled weekday stops at York Street & Cedar Street between 7:17 & 9:23 p.m.
- Shuttle from the Union Railroad Station has scheduled weekday stops at College Street & South Frontage Road between 6:33 & 10:12 a.m. and again between 3:09 & 9:25 p.m.
Lodging & Nearby Services
When patients are faced with short- or long-term inpatient hospital care, families and caregivers can stay comfortably nearby. The Suites at Yale New Haven is a new hotel offered by Yale New Haven Hospital. In addition, there are a number of hotels and accommodations in New Haven that fit all needs and budgets.
The Suites at Yale New Haven
Located minutes from Yale New Haven Hospital and its Smilow Cancer Hospital, Children's Hospital and Saint Raphael Campus, The Suites, at 25 Dwight Street in New Haven, includes 24 suites with extended stay options. Daily, weekly and monthly rates are available.
With all the comforts of home in a warm and welcoming setting, and just minutes away from Yale New Haven Hospital, The Suites offers many conveniences and amenities, including complimentary transportation to and from the hospital.
For more information and reservations, visit The Suites at Yale New Haven's Web site or call (203) 654-7500.
The Ronald McDonald House of Connecticut
The Ronald McDonald House is a place where families can stay while their child is being treated at the hospital. A referral from a hospital staff member is required before a family can register as a guest at the House. A modest fee is charged per night.
YNHH offers transportation from the hospital to the Ronald McDonald House. Please call Protective Services at (203) 688-2500 in advance of the time you would like to leave.
Visit the Ronald McDonald House of Connecticut's Web site or call (203) 777-LOVE for more information.
Other Area Hotels
For information about area hotels, please visit INFO New Haven or the Greater New Haven Convention and Visitor Bureau.
If you still have questions about where to stay when you visit Yale New Haven Hospital, please contact Patient Relations at (203) 688-3430.